The UP Scholarship Programs are envisioned to honor and encourage outstanding academic achievement or talent, help academically qualified but financially needy students, and encourage enrollment in particular academic programs which are needed by our country. UP as a leading regional and global university in an environment that sustains 21st century learning, knowledge creation and public service for society and humanity. That is the vision of the UP System administration. UP shapes minds that shape the nation!
The administration recognizes UP’s stature and role as the country’s national university, and therefore aims to steer its activities toward achieving the overarching goal of contributing to national development. Much has changed in UP over the past 100 years. From one campus in Manila, it now has 8 constituent universities in 17 campuses all over the country; it has 258 undergraduate programs; and 438 graduate programs with students from almost every region in the country.
From the education of ordinary Filipinos under Americans at the time of UP President Murray Bartlett to its journey onto another century under the stewardship of President Alfredo E. Pascual, the university has produced 30 out of 31 National Scientists; 34 out of 57 National Artists; 7 out of the 14 Presidents of the Republic; 12 Chief Justices of the Supreme Court; 15,000 doctors; 8,000 lawyers; 15, 000 engineers; 23, 000 teachers and hundreds of thousands of graduates in other academic fields. The UP has more than served its purpose well and has been of faithful service to the nation.
To do this, the University environment must continue to provide, support, and promote the right conditions for the creation and proliferation of new and innovative knowledge as well as the delivery of timely, relevant, and meaningful public service. Achieving the right conditions entails promoting access and diversity, optimizing the use of resources, and improving the welfare of UP constituents.
Internationally recognized as the leading educational institution in the country, UP is the only Philippine university in the Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU), where membership is based on the nomination and votes of member universities. UP is also the only Philippine university in the ASEAN-European University Network, a network of universities offering comprehensive graduate degree programs. It is a founding member of and is one of only three Philippine universities in the ASEAN University Network (AUN).
The University of the Philippines lives as a nerve center for most local and foreign private and government and non-government institutions by providing the much needed academic, professional and leadership training in the undergraduate, graduate, post-doctoral and even professional levels. To date, UP, being the National University, has Memoranda of Agreement or Memoranda of Understanding with about three hundred foreign academic institutions throughout the world that also play a significant role in the formation of their societies.
Internationalization is a university’s response to globalization, which is the strong and growing interdependence of countries, economies and cultures (Stromquist 2007). It is the fusion/hybridization of academic culture and pedagogy, including ethos and value systems, of universities across nations.
It provides the opportunity for strengthening academic resources, while retaining the university’s distinct identity in the fast changing world. It is therefore essential for the future development of the University of the Philippines (UP) and other Philippine Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) to pursue internationalization, given the rapid changes in the socio-political, economic and cultural landscapes, and the desire of universities always to be at the forefront of teaching, research and extension work.
Here is the list of their current scholarship programs and offers, which may change from time to time. For an updated list, you can click the link after the link that says further reading.
Angelo King Foundation
BS Biology (3 slots) BS Physics (2 slot) BS Applied Physics (2 slots) BS Math (1 slot)
- for Junior and Senior students, must have an average of at least “2.5” or better in the previous semester with no grade of “5.0” or “incomplete”
- for freshman, must have qualified for admission in the University of the Philippines by passing the UPCAT
- P12,000 per semester.
Upaa Of Australia-New South Wales Scholarship
Must be third year, Bachelor of Secondary Education (Mathematics) – first priority (Science & Health) – second priority
- Must be FD/FDS
- Parent’s annual gross income must not exceed P200,000.00.
- General weighted average of “2.5”, no grade of “5.00”, “4.00” or “inc”.
- P19,000.00 per semester
Ester Tanco Scholarship
The scholarship is open to students in the College of Engineering, Arts and Letters, Business Administration, Science, Institute of Mass Communication, Agriculture, Medicine, Law.
- must not have been the subject of disciplinary penalty heavier than a five-day class suspension.
- must not be employed as a student worker (e.g. student assistance) in the University or must not be a working student; and,
- must be financially deserving;
- must be bona fide 1st year (2nd semester) or sophomore students pursuing a baccalaureate degree in a college observing the semestral system;
- must have earned a general weighted average of “2.50” or better with no unremoved grade of “4.00” or “inc” during the semester preceding the application. For those in the College of Medicine in the College of Law, their grades in their undergraduate courses must be included in the computation of the weighted average;
Upaa British Columbia Scholarship
- A bona fide undergraduate student of the University of the Philippines Diliman;
- Who is an STFAP Bracket C or D recipient;
- Who has completed his freshman year or is a sophomore;
- Who is enrolled in at least 15 units;
- Who has not earned a grade of “5.00” and has no unremoved grade of “4.00” or “inc” and
- Who has not been the subject of any disciplinary action.
Upaa Singapore Scholarship
- must be a bona fide student of the University of the Philippines System enrolled in any four year course;
- must be a freshman student who has qualified for admission; if already enrolled as a freshman, must have obtained an average grade of “2.50” or better and must have carried a load of at least 15 units with no grade of “5.00” or unremoved “4.00” or “inc.” in the semester immediately preceding the application;
- must be enrolled in at least 15 units at the time of the award of the grant;
- must be financially needy (parents’ annual gross income must not exceed Php200,000.00)
- must not have been the subject of any disciplinary action.
- P25,000.00 per semester
Denso Philippines Corporation Scholarship
- Must have obtained a general weighted average of at least “2.00” with no grade of “5.00” or unremoved “4.00” or “inc” in the semester immediately preceding the application;
- Must not be a recipient of any scholarship grant;
- Must be enrolled in at least 15 units at the time of the award of the grant;
- Must have parents’or guardian’s annual gross income not exceeding P200,000.00;
- Must not have been held liable in any disciplinary action.
- Must be a regular 4th year student enrolled in BS Electronics and Communications Engineering or BS Mechanical Engineering at the College of Engineering;
- Monthly stipend @ P6,000.00 x 5 months – P30,000.00 per semester
Carlos Palanca Foundation Scholarship
- Must be enrolled in B.A. Malikhaing Pagsulat, B.A. Araling Filipino major in MalikhaingPagsulat or Creative Writing at U.P. Diliman or U.P Mindanao, or any other U.P. campus where the degree of Bachelor of Arts, major in Creative Writing/MalikhaingPagsulat is offered
- Must be inclined towards literature as supported by literary works submitted to the screening committee
- Must not have been the subject of disciplinary action by the University of the Philippines
- Must belong to underprivileged family with parents’ annual gross income of not more than P300,000.00 a year
- Must be an incoming freshman student enrolled in UP Diliman and UP Mindanao
- Must not be a holder of any other scholarship or financial assistance. In case he/she holds or gets another scholarship/financial assistance, the student must inform the UP Office of Scholarships and Student Services (OSSS) so that there will be no duplication of benefits
- Must undergo and passed the UPCAT
- The grant consists of P39,000.00 per semester
Dr. Jose And Celestina Raymundo Scholarship Fund
- Must be financially needy (income must not exceed P400,000).
- Applicants must be descendants of Dr. Jose and Celestina Raymundo, as identified by the Trustee. A family tree will be provided to include the current members. Future members will be certified by birth certificates and signatures of Trustees;
- Must have passed the UPCAT;
- Must obtained a General Weighted Average of at least “2.00” in the semester immediately preceding application;
Further reading, http://osss.up.edu.ph/content/scholarships/list/
Submit your application to
Office of Scholarships and Student Services
Rooms 302-306, 3rd Floor, Vinzons Hall
UP Campus, Diliman, Quezon City
1101 Metro Manila, Philippines
Government and Private Funded Scholarships
Telephone: UPD VoIP 02 981 8500 local 4506