The Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature (Palanca Awards) was established in 1950 to commemorate the memory of Don Carlos Palanca Sr. through an endeavor that would promote education and culture in the country.
The Palanca Awards aims to develop Philippine literature by providing incentives for writers to craft their most outstanding literary works, by being a treasury of the Philippine’s literary gems from our gifted writers, and assist in their eventual dissemination to our people, particularly students.
The Palanca Awards is open to all Filipino or former Filipino citizens of all ages, except current directors, officers, and employees of the Carlos Palanca Foundation.
It aims to help develop Philippine literature by providing incentives for writers to craft their most outstanding literary work and to be a treasury of the Philippines’ literary gems.
Besides the Memorial Award offered nationwide, the foundation also gives out scholarships to students studying in the University of the Philippines. Please see details below if you are interested to apply
- Must be enrolled in B.A. Malikhaing Pagsulat, B.A. Araling Filipino major in MalikhaingPagsulat or Creative Writing at U.P. Diliman or U.P Mindanao, or any other U.P. campus where the degree of Bachelor of Arts, major in Creative Writing/MalikhaingPagsulat is offered
- Must be inclined towards literature as supported by literary works submitted to the screening committee
- Must not have been the subject of disciplinary action by the University of the Philippines
- Must belong to underprivileged family with parents’ annual gross income of not more than P300,000.00 a year
- Must be an incoming freshman student enrolled in UP Diliman and UP Mindanao
- Must not be a holder of any other scholarship or financial assistance. In case he/she holds or gets another scholarship/financial assistance, the student must inform the UP Office of Scholarships and Student Services (OSSS) so that there will be no duplication of benefits
- Must undergo and passed the UPCAT
The grant consists of P39,000.00 per semester
Submit your application to
University of the Philippines Diliman
Rm 302 Vinzons Hall, Quezon City 1101, Philippines
Telephone: 02 981 8500 Local 4506